Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Visit to the Countryside









After our visit to the Normandy region in the north of France we head down to the home of Mimi and Yves. The closest big city would be Agen which is located in the Southwest of the country. They live near farmland and it is extremely peaceful out here. Uncle Yves is the youngest of four siblings. Although he does not speak English we have an incredible bond. When I came to France in 1979 I had the opportunity to work with him in the moving business. It was really cool to go to the clients home packing their belongings and transporting them throughout France. I learned much from this Uncle on many levels. Actually the French I did learn was mostly from working and being around him. Some years ago he and his wife Myriam built a home on land that was left to her and now they live there full time. Many family and friends would come here on vacation to spend with them. Myriam (known as Mimi) is very attentive and an incredible cook. We feasted on a variety of French cuisine. A typical day would be to enjoy a few cups of coffee with a little something to eat. Close to midday we began to sip on some rose that my Uncle gets from a local winery before we sit for lunch. We ate outside at all meals except when it might have been a little chilly we would eat on the terrace. After lunch it was siesta time but I would put on my iPod and spend sometime either sitting near or walking in the forest that is in my uncle's backyard. Sometimes someone local would pop in for a drink before we started in on rose again around the dinner time. We ate late in the evening. It did not get dark until after 8pm or so. I also had the honor to give Yves several massages which I have done so over the years, in fact I purchased a massage table on my last visit and leave it at his home. The visit here was for 6 nights


The view from my room

Uncle Yves did take us to the winery, a nearby old village, the city of Mosaic, and the Tuesday market in Valence.

April and I actually was on the same train heading east and when we arrive at the stop Narbone she got off to start her adventure to Spain and I continued to Marseille for a few personal days.

No comments:

Post a Comment