Monday, September 6, 2010

Asterix

The year is 50 B.C. Gaul is entirely occupied by the Romans. Well not entirely! One small village of indomitable Gauls still holds out against the invaders and life is not easy for the Roman legionaries who garrison the fortified camps of Totorum, Aquarium, Laudanum and Compendium.....
On my very first visit to France in 1979 I was introduced to this cartoon called Asterix. My cousins Thierry and Franck had tons of these cartoon books. Of course they were in French. In the book they showed all the languages (from all over Europe) that they came in and to my delight they had it in English. After this discovery I searched out an English bookstore to get myself some of these cool comics. I found a great spot on Rue de Rivoli in Paris and have been going there ever since. Even at 52 years of age I still enjoy acquiring issues to add to my collection.
When we stopped in to see my beautiful cousin Rachel I glanced over at her son Cesar toy box and saw this fantastic Gaul cap which the main character wears. After spotting this I was overcome with a playful sense of myself and felt like a kid for a moment as I put the helmet on. I really am a big kid at heart.

1 comment:

  1. When Flintstones came on the scene it was my favorite cartoon for many years until I came across this fascinating comic.

    ReplyDelete