Saturday, September 4, 2010

What's on the Menu?


In my travels, I've taken great pleasure in taking in local cuisine and trying new things however I am not a fan of Dutch food. This is one of the few places that I have been where I don't eat the traditional foods. The good news is that Amsterdam is a melting pot and you can find a variety of eateries offering meals from all over the world. There are heavy influences of Indian, Thai, and many other cultural delights. Also you can find all kinds of fast food places from Burger King to one of the local spots "FEBO" where you purchase something hot to eat out of a vending machine. I personally never got food here and can't wrap my mind around this concept. I do know many people don't really like it but it is quick and cheap grub.



I do eat at a local favorite that offers fresh Asian style food at a great price called "Wok to Walk". For around 5 Euros you can select from a variety of items and sauces to create your own meal. Of course the more items you add the price goes up. You can either take your food to go as you explore the city or eat in. They are open through the day and well into the night (I think like until 1am or so). They have several locations throughout the city and although the lines get long they food is cooked from fresh ingredients and is available to you in a matter of minutes of ordering. Whether you are a traveler on a budget or just looking for a good meal it is worth a visit.

The one thing about the Dutch is when they eat in restaurants they will spend many hours there which makes it a challenge to eat at some places and the waiter/waitress will not bring your check unless you ask for it. If you take your food to go you get a 20% discount at most dine in type places.

Now whenever I stay any place for more than a few days I find a local market to purchase my drinks, snacks and even food items if I have a refrigerator and even stuff to cook if a stove is provided (which in many cases it is....where I have stayed).


A few years ago a local told me about this place where he takes
his mother-in-law when she comes to visit that serves a delicious Dutch Apple Pie. I have to say I have not had apple pie like that before and I will always make a stop here when I come. The name of the place is called "Winkel" and they actually prepare and provide many of these pies for the local eateries and coffeeshops. On this visit I actually ordered a whole pie to take to my niece in Belgium. It did not hold up in the travels but good none the less!


1 comment:

  1. i had a chicken snack from one of those vending machines and it wasnt bad at all...and i dont think thats the place that I got my apple pie lol

    ReplyDelete