Monday, September 13, 2010

The "Iamsterdam" Card

Although I have been to Amsterdam a number of times I always like to get the "Iamsterdam" card. I think it is a really great buy and a nice way to see the city. They have three different ones you can get 24, 48, and 72 hours. Make your way just outside the train station to the tourist information. I personally like the 48 hour one which comes out to 48 Euros if the stay is around 5 days or so.

To make good use of the card on a 5 day trip, I would suggest when you get your card also pick up a 24 hour transit card. When you arrive in the city hit the tourist center, pick up the map, and make your way to your hotel, guesthouse, hostel, houseboat or whatever accommodations you make. If it is a distance for the first tram trip pay the regular fare. Refresh and regroup yourself then head out and navigate the streets/canals in your area. If you can arrange the free canal ride through the St Nicholas boat club to help with your bearings. Bring your map, some post it notes, and pen along with you.

On day two use your day transit pass to further explore the city making your way to some of the free sights and things to do. By now you will have picked up the local magazine "Boom" which suggest a variety of other places you can check out. Spend the evening in the square for nightlife and many nights during the summers, free outdoor music.

I would wait 48 hours before you leave the train station to activate your "Iamsterdam" card which includes a transit card. The idea is to use it until you depart making it your last ride. Some of the things in the book that you receive is not associated to the time restriction so it can be used during on days outside the 48 hours. There is no way you will get to everything you want to do that is part of the city card.

During this trip I made it to the Hortus Botanicus (prior to this trip it did not work out for me to get here) and I am so glad. It was cool to see them pack so many different variety of plants from around the world in such a small space. The layout was awesome. The next stop was the Hermitage but on this day they were charging extra for a special event, so at the last minute I went to the Tropenmuseum which was really neat. I only had an hour but could have stayed half the day. They had exhibits from all around the world. Also there was drums set up on stage which was breathe taking. I wanted to come back for the performance later that evening but had previous plans. I spent a few hours at the Heineken experiences and went for a 75 minute boat ride. Stopped at a bar for a free drink....I had the Cherry Liquor.

I was able to get a few more short activities in, took advantage of a restaurant discount, and did some light shopping at a discount. Even though I've used the "Iamsterdam" card over the last 4-5 visits to Holland I will always get one because I think it is a great buy and if you plan it right you will get well over your monies worth. Using the map will also save you lots of time. Find the main map that has the transit routes in it.

PHOTOS TO COME LATER
(Having trouble with photo program)


No comments:

Post a Comment